Griffin Capital Essential Asset REIT II Reports 2018 Third Quarter Results
El Segundo, Calif. (November 14, 2018) – Griffin Capital Essential Asset REIT II, Inc. (the “REIT”) announced its operating results for the quarter ended September 30, 2018.
“We continue to rely on the core strengths of our portfolio which allow us to execute on an investment strategy that provides investors with consistent income generated from our high-quality corporate tenants,” said Michael Escalante, Chief Investment Officer, Griffin Capital and Director and President of the REIT.
As of September 30, 2018, our portfolio consisted of 27 properties (35 buildings) encompassing approximately 7.3 million square feet of space in 17 states.
Highlights and Accomplishments in Third Quarter 2018 and Results as of September 30, 2018:
- The total capitalization(1) of our portfolio was approximately $1.3 billion.
- Our weighted average remaining lease term was approximately 9.6 years with average annual rent increases of approximately 2.4%.
- Our portfolio is 100% leased and occupied2.
- Approximately 75.8% of our portfolio’s net rental revenue3 was generated by properties leased to tenants and/or guarantors with investment grade credit ratings or whose non-guarantor parent companies have investment grade credit ratings4.
- Total revenue for the quarter ended September 30, 2018 was approximately $26.7 million, compared to $27.3 million for the quarter ended September 30, 2017.
- Net loss attributable to common stockholders was approximately $(0.8) million or $(0.01) per basic and diluted share for the quarter ended September 30, 2018, compared to net income attributable to common stockholders of $3.1 million or $0.04 per basic and diluted share for the same period in 2017.
- As of September 30, 2018, the ratio of debt to total real estate acquisition value was 43.7%.
- Adjusted funds from operations, or AFFO, was approximately $8.4 million and $10.3 million for the quarters ended September 30, 2018 and 2017, respectively. Funds from operations, or FFO5, was approximately $10.5 million and $14.3 million for the quarters ended September 30, 2018 and 2017, respectively. Please see the financial reconciliation tables and notes at the end of this release for more information regarding AFFO and FFO.
- Our Adjusted EBITDA, as defined per our amended and restated credit agreement, was approximately $17.4 million for the quarter ended September 30, 2018 with both a fixed charge and interest coverage ratio of 3.70. Please see the financial reconciliation tables and notes at the end of this release for more information regarding Adjusted EBITDA and related ratios.
About Griffin Capital Essential Asset REIT II
Griffin Capital Essential Asset REIT II, Inc. is a publicly registered, non-traded REIT focused on acquiring a portfolio consisting primarily of single tenant business essential properties throughout the United States, diversified by corporate credit, physical geography, product type, and lease duration. As of September 30, 2018, Griffin Capital Essential Asset REIT II, Inc. has acquired 35 office and industrial buildings totaling approximately 7.3 million rentable square feet and asset acquisition value of approximately $1.1 billion. Griffin Capital Essential Asset REIT II, Inc. is one of several REITs sponsored or co-sponsored by Griffin Capital Company, LLC (“Griffin Capital”).
About Griffin Capital Company, LLC
Griffin Capital is a leading alternative investment asset manager that owns, manages, or co-sponsors approximately $11.2 billion* in assets. Founded in 1995, the privately held firm is led by a seasoned team of senior executives with more than two decades of investment and real estate experience and who collectively have executed more than 650 transactions valued at over $22.0 billion.
The firm manages, sponsors or co-sponsors a suite of carefully curated, institutional quality investment solutions distributed by Griffin Capital Securities, LLC to retail investors through a community of partners, including independent and insurance broker-dealers, wirehouses, registered investment advisory firms and the financial advisors who work with these enterprises. Additional information is available at www.griffincapital.com
*Includes the property information related to interests held in certain joint ventures. As of September 30, 2018.
This press release may contain certain forward-looking statements within the meaning of Section 27A of the Securities Act of 1933, as amended, and Section 21E of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, as amended. Such forward-looking statements can generally be identified by our use of forward-looking terminology such as “may,” “will,” “expect,” “intend,” “anticipate,” “estimate,” “believe,” “continue,” or other similar words. Because such statements include risks, uncertainties and contingencies, actual results may differ materially from the expectations, intentions, beliefs, plans or predictions of the future expressed or implied by such forward-looking statements. These risks, uncertainties and contingencies include, but are not limited to: uncertainties relating to changes in general economic and real estate conditions; uncertainties relating to the implementation of our real estate investment strategy; uncertainties relating to financing availability and capital proceeds; uncertainties relating to the closing of property acquisitions; uncertainties related to the timing and availability of distributions; and other risk factors as outlined in the REIT’s prospectus, Annual Report on Form 10-K and Quarterly Reports on Form 10-Q as filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission (the “SEC”). This is neither an offer nor a solicitation to purchase securities.
1 Total capitalization includes the outstanding debt balance, plus total equity raised in our public offerings, net of redemptions.
2 There is no guarantee that our properties will remain 100% leased and occupied.
3 Net rent is based on (a) the contractual base rental payments assuming the lease requires the tenant to reimburse us for certain operating expenses or the property is self-managed by the tenant and the tenant is responsible for all, or substantially all, of the operating expenses; or (b) contractual rent payments less certain operating expenses that are our responsibility for the 12-month period subsequent to September 30, 2018, and includes assumptions that may not be indicative of the actual future performance of a property, including the assumption that the tenant will perform its obligations under its lease agreement during the next 12 months.
4 Approximately 75.8% of our portfolio’s net rental revenue was generated by properties leased to tenants and/or guarantors with investment grade credit ratings or whose non-guarantor parent companies have investment grade ratings or what management believes are generally equivalent ratings. Of the 75.8% investment grade tenant ratings, 64.0% is from Nationally Recognized Statistical Rating Organization (NRSRO) credit rating, with the remaining 11.8% being from a non-NRSRO, but having a rating that we believe is generally equivalent to an NRSRO investment grade rating. Bloomberg’s default risk rating is one example of a non-NRSRO rating.
5FFO, as described by National Association of Real Estate Investment Trusts (“NAREIT”), is adjusted for non-controlling interest distributions.